Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
grenchild...
grenchild...

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:09pm

Post Subject: paint

HiTony, other than cost is there any reason why paints such as Hammerite which contain rust inhibitors, can not be used for the outside of narrowboats Many thanks. gren

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:18pm

Post Subject: paint

Dear Gren, I am sure Phil can give you a far more informed answer but have you ever tried getting a good finish with Hammerite? Especially when its warm? My observations from when I used it on the kid's bikes etc is that it tends to be very brittle and not very impact resistant. If I want a fast job on areas where the finish is not so important (like above the top rubbing bank to the gunwales) I often use their primer. However if speed is not an issue I have yet to be convinced that Hammerite is any more rust resitant than a proper high zinc (something - chromate/oxide?) primer plus a conventional paint system. I hope Phil will add his comments. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.