Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
robert1111...
robert1111...

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:56pm

Post Subject: boat builders

hi there. me and my partner are planning to have a widebeam built from scratch. we are in the process of getting quotes from varios boatbuilders. we found a company called ColeCraft recommended to us by friends.We went to visit thier yard they are quite a distance from us as we live in Bristol. We also found a company called M&P STEELCRAFT who are much closer to home. Do you know anything about these companies? or do you know of any reliable companies that do steelwork etc.. thanks

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:27pm

Post Subject: boat builders

Dear Roberto, we have to be very careful about what we publish and make sure that we do not cause problems for companies. However at the present time hardly a month goes by without news that one waterways related business or another has gone into liquidation but I must stress I have heard no whispers about the two you mention. I know Colecraft have been in business for a very long time and produce mid-range hulls that are/have been often used by hire fleets. My own Colecraft hull was built in 1990 and I know they were going for some time before that. I am not as familiar with M&P but they too seem to have been around for a long time so as both these businesses have weathered previous recessions they may be better placed than many to weather this one. What I would say is that it is vital that you use a form of contract that clearly specifies what must be completed before the next stage payment is due AND that the ownership of the title of the items making up the boat are transfered to you as you pay for them. I would also advise that you employ a surveyor to oversee the work and to make sure the terms of the contract are adhered to. For example by recording the serial number of the parts fitted and to ensure the work done is adequate to trigger the next payment. It is also vital that he ensures the RCD documentation is fully complied with as work progresses. There are a number of other companies but in the present climate I think it would be foolish to comment on any of them. Perhaps it would be a good idea to post this question on the Canal World forum where it is possible to get replies by private email. I am happy with my, now rather dented, Colecraft hull and I have heard good comments about M&P's work. To be honest, at this time I think you would get less worry by buying secondhand. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.35 seconds.