Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
renown
renown

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:52am

Post Subject: Paint

My canal boat has been coated sometime in the past with a zinc protective coat. This is causing serious issues with paint adhension. Is there a product available that would enable the paint not to bubble off? Any suggestions gratefully received. Thank you.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:02am

Emma, I have asked the Editor to get a paint expert to answer this. I seem to remember that a primer called Gavafroid advises on what type of paint has to be used for the next coat but I fear it might be a total paint strip and start again job. It might help if you could find out exactly what products you have. Tony Brooks

renown
renown

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:03pm

Hallo Tony, Thank you for the reply. I have no idea as to the zinc coating itself but the paint system last used was Blakes. That's all I know! Not terribly useful I am afraid. To be honest hubbie and I are expecting to have to blast the top side back which obviously is not ideal!! Thanks again Emma

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:01pm

Dear Emma, If you can hold fire for a couple of months you may well find Phil Speight answers your question in the magazine rather than on the forum. I doubt you will need to get it sand or shot blasted because I think a horrible device in an electric drill called a scabler (spelling?)will remove most of the paint so a fairly quick go over with an abrasive disk on a disk sander will be adequate preparation. The zinc rich paint I have in mind requires (from memory)overcoating with a chlorinated rubber paint (Zinc & oils do not get on well together) but to remove the ordinary paint with a paint stripper will be expensive and the stripper will probably also remove the zinc paint. At this stage it is important to point out that I am not talking about the zinc oxide or zinc chromate primers that are designed to go under one pot coach paint (oil based) systems. I think you should contact Blake's technical department and ask their advice. They even publish a booklet about painting boats so should be helpful. Tony Brooks

canalboat
canalboat

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:39am

Hi Emma, Phil is away at present, as soon as we get a reply from him we'll let you know. Nick

renown
renown

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:36pm

Thank you bothy for your replies. I feel better already! I will away a reply either here or the magazine. Thank you again.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.69 seconds.