Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tim
Tim

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:54pm

Post Subject: engine below decks - cruiser stern

Hi Tony - thanks for previous reply to me. I saw a few wide beam narrowboats last weekend. Looking down into the engine compartment under the cruiser sterns, some, I noted, had an inch or two of water. It could be a normal, typical thing to expect for all I know, if the craft has been left for a while, or should one expect a bone dry engine bay? P.S. are wide-beamers a breed apart from their 'narrow' cousins? thanks, Tim

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:12pm

Post Subject: engine below decks - cruiser stern

Dear Tim, I would expect the vast majority of boats built within the last 15 years or more to have so called self draining cockpits. This normally involves the movable deck-boards being sat on some form of channel, often an upturned U section. This then directs rain water to some form of overboard drain. My experience is that this system is not 100% during heavy rain and will have no effect on the condensation formed on the inside metal surfaces during the winter. So I accept a degree of water under a cruiser stern (thats what most wide beam narrowboats have - as opposed to barges) is normal. If there are access steps let into the stern deck the lower step is almost certainly not self draining so you either allow rain to run into the bilge or the back cabin. Most people choose the bilge. The drip tray under the engine area should be dry, ideally with an oil mat in it, but some water around that is probably to be expected. Now I think 2 inches is rather a lot. Most boast have an electric bilge pump to get rid of it so we can assume either there was a very heavy storm just before you went to inspect the boat or, more likely, the broker/owner is not taking as good care of it as they could. If everything else is as you want it and the survey is OK do not worry about it. Now your PS. They are very similar except they usually have a more powerful engine but their larger beam means the internal framing needs to be larger so it would be as well to get your surveyor to check the actual framing, and the rest of the boat, complies with the RCD and the paperwork reflects this. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.52 seconds.