Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
jeremy1
jeremy1

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:11pm

Post Subject: Locking diesel cap

I have seen many adverts for locking fuel caps to fit fillers that are flush with the decks and have an internal thread. Can anyone tell me where I can get a locking fuel cap that will fit an external thread as the neck of my filler protrudes above deck level. Jeremy Kerr

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:16pm

Post Subject: Locking diesel cap

Dear Mr Kerr, I think any of the locking caps could be removed with a hooky bar and lump hammer so the idea is to persuade thieves that your boat is too hard to get at so they move else where. I do not remember hearing of any caps for raised deck fillers but the solution is simple for anyone who can drill holes & thread tap them. If you can not do it your boatyard probably can. Get a security screw, say MM. This will be a roundheaded machine screw (like a bolt with the thread all the way up) but instead of a slot in the head it has a star shaped hole with a pin in the middle. You also need a security bit or two to fit your screw. With the cap in place drill what is known as a tapping size hole right through the cap and filler pipe. Tap a (say 6mm) thread in the pipe and enlarge the hole in the cap to say 8 or 10mm. Screw the cap on and fit the security screw into the holes. This assumes you have a typical narrowboat raised filler made from bits of plumbers' fittings. If you have a thin brass filler and cap then change it for a flush one because it should not be welded in place. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.