Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
djgwest
djgwest

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:52pm

Post Subject: My Honda 100 CDI outboard wont run on idle just keeps stalling

Thanks Mark and Tony,..what does the CDI unit look like,.. is it the small black box close to the carb,... anyway we have cleaned the carb and checked it 3 times, we have flushed the fuel lines and put fresh fuel in, new spark plugs and renewed the seals and gaskets etc yet it still refuses to run on low revs,... I will try the CDI unit once I know what it looks like,... im really new to outboards,,.. cant you tell lol Anyway failing that could the timing be out? Thanks gain for the input,.. we will get there in the end im sure.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:57am

Dear Gordon, as I have explained I have no direct experience of your particular outboard and I think I have already advised using the manual. The CDI box is usually roughly rectangular in shape and may or may not be made form metal, possibly ridges, to help it get rid of heat. The underside may well be a sort of hardish plastic that was poured into it once the electronics were inside. There will be wires coming from it. The plug leads may come out of the box. If they do not they will come from a pair of coils or a single coil pack. In this case there will be at least one cable between the CDI unit and coil(s). I would also expect to see cables running from under the flywheel to the CDI unit. Remember Mark said his problem was a bad connection. Unless things have changed testing CDI & other electronic ignition parts often requires both specific data and also may require the dedicated test equipment I mentioned. Could the timing be out? The answer is yes but so could it be some odd fuelling fault, worn camshaft/valve gear, blown head gasket, and so on. The trick is to decide upon the information given what is the most likely cause of the problem and on outboards that have not been messed about with by people who do not really know what they are doing the fault is usually sparking problems or fuelling. You have only told me in general terms what you have done but as long as you have not been messing with the flywheel or anything underneath it the timing is not likely to be an issue. The flywheel is usually keyed onto the crankshaft so if the key is still fitted and intact the ignition timing is probably OK. Being a four stroke it could be valve timing but unless you have done major stripping this is also likely to be fine. I did not answer your last post because I hoped Mark would be along to explain exactly where the CDI unit is and what it looks like. My opinion is that the engine should have gone to a dealer once you had made sure the carburettor was clean. I suppose you have loosened the breather screw on the fuel tank, but that should only cause problems after a period of running. Tony Brooks

djgwest
djgwest

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:36am

Thanks again Tony you have been extreamly helpful, I have not managed to find a manual, even on the internet, so couldn't check anything.... we have not touched anything apart from the carb and I did that after downloading a diagrm from a site called www.boats.net/parts they are a usa company who sell parts for all kinds of boats at pretty keen prices, but the useful thing with them is that they have compleate diagrams of all the parts and where they go, free to print out at home,... except the one I wanted, (The CDI unit) anyway this site may be useful to other boaters, assuming you dont already know about it, which I am guessing you probably do.... anyway thanks again, you have saved me a lot of trouble, not to mention money, as these boat engine repair places are very over priced, in their labour and spares costs, I am new to boating but already can see the best way to get parts is to shop around and dont go to the obvious places, for example spark plugs for my boat were quoted at £4.50 each by a very well known and respected north west boat repairer, however I got mine from a motorbike shop for £1.80 each my carb from the boat repairer would be around £250+ fitted but if I buy via the net it will be about £160 and is very simple to fit. I am now a honda outboard expert thanks to you guys at Canal boat and a little stripping and cleaning in between, the carb im talking about, I dont have a part time job in a pole bar yet...lol thanks again.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.