Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
deotto
deotto

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:07pm

Post Subject: prop shaft

I have recently had a new engine fitted to my 39ft narrowboat. While they were at it, they changed the prop shaft and propellor as it was worn. When I drive the boat now,I find that it is less responsive than before and it doesn't turn as easily. I checked through the weed hatch and I found that the new propellor sits a lot closer to the hull than the old one did. Should I ask them to fit a longer prop shaft, or should I just get used to the new setup?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:08pm

Dear Otto, I suspect the prop-shaft length would only have a marginal effect as long as there is some gap between the prop and outboard bearing. My suspicion is that the new propeller is a different size , possible smaller or with less pitch. That would account for your symptoms but I can not say it is the wrong size, it could be the old one was too large in some way. I have just fitted a new prop and it's size as advised by Crowthers was confirmed by my own and third party calculations. I now find my cruising RPM have gone up from about 1200 to 1500 but the fuel consumption has marginally improved, as has top speed. I tell you this because I just need more revs to get the boat to perform as before and it sounds as if you are in a similar position. Without a lot more info I can not advise on the correct prop size and even then experience is important. Tony Brooks

deotto
deotto

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:21am

Thanks Tony, much appreciated.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.77 seconds.