Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
sooty1957
sooty1957

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:50pm

Post Subject: insulating gunnels ?

Hello, just started to fit out a narrowboat shell after 3 months of getting things together (and waiting for the boat!). It is sprayfoam insulated, but on panelling the gunnel there is plenty of room for further insulation. Is it worth doing? and if so will normal 100mm loft insulation be appropiate? Thankyou Steve

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:23pm

Dear Steve, I am at a bit of a loss to know what you mean by the gunwale. This is technically the part of the hull behind the uppermost rubbing band but many people use it to refer to what I call the catwalk or side deck. This is not your fault but rather trying to fit sea-boat terminology to a canal boat. As far as I can see trying to apply extra insulation to the under-surface of the catwalk (side deck) would probably not be worth the effort and may make the internal cabin lining a bit too long. If you mean the hull side, including the tumblehome (the sloping in bit)above the top rubbing bank I suppose it is worth doing if you envisage a fair amount of winter use. Personally i would not use rockwool or similar insulation because it can slip down and may absorb condensation. I think I would use something like Kingspan expanded PU sheets cut to side - even better if it has a silver foil surface closest to the lining. If you already have 75mm + spray foam then I suspect it might not be worth the effort, but as they say, every little helps. Tony Brooks

sooty1957
sooty1957

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:33pm

Thankyou for your quick reply. Apologies for for my incorrect use of terminology, still an awful lot to learn yet ! Yes I mean the internal hull sides. Kingspan is a good idea, I will try a bit for thickness. Cheers Steve

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38am

Google "Seconds" - they sell reject insulation of that type for a good price. Don't worry about the terminology, you will get it in the end and I am sure many people use gunwale as you did but I have to be sure that I understand what you are talking about. Tony Brooks

sooty1957
sooty1957

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:14pm

Hi, went to have a look round and got a sample of 'Kingspan', but found Knauf 'space blanket' which looks as though it will do the job and be a bit more flexible. It is insulation enclosed on one side with foil and bound by a loose orange plastic on the other and expands to 150mm. This should stop it sagging or absorbing moisture. £6 for 2 square mtr coverage... so not too bad. Would you put the foil side to the panel or the hull? I presume it would be best not to let the insulation drop below floor level into the bilge area Thanks again Steve

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:19am

Personally I would not put it below floor level, but I gave my opinion about suitable insulation above but it is your boat and you are free to use whatever you think will do the job. Just remember diesel engines produce a lot of vibration that tends to shake things downwards. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.60 seconds.