Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
VickiShaw
VickiShaw

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:27pm

Post Subject: Applying undercoat and topcoat

Dear Tony, If we sand between the different paint layers, can we just use a roller to apply the paint for all but the top coat? Or do you get a better finish if you use a roller and paint brush to smooth off each layer? I look forward to hearing from you soon. Best wishes, Vicki

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:28pm

Post Subject: Applying undercoat and topcoat

Dear Vicki, I have emailed the Editor to ask that your question gets put to Phil who is a paint expert but things are a bit chaotic with the IWA National being only a few days away. Once again I must stress my answer is from an engineer's point of view and not as a paint expert. When you use a roller you will find the paint surface ends up with a kind of orange peel effect and if you try to sand this back smooth I suspect you will go right through the paint layer in places. As far as I can see the trick is to use a roller to put the paint on far as then layoff with a dry(ish) brush. This is shown on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3UCEbGZmz0 (all one line). Usually you lay off downwards, but in some situations it is not so easy so the demo shows laying off upwards. You need a really good brush for the best results and I doubt you would get one from B&Q. however I suspect if this is your first time at painting and if you are only patch priming you may not want a smooth, high gloss finish that will show every imperfection so buy reasonable brushes and take your time. The roller & brush thing is far easier with two people. I also think Craftmaster paints will send you a CD on request and their paint is reckoned to be some of the best coach paint available. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.