Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
rgrobinson
rgrobinson

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:23pm

Post Subject: Engine oil

Hello Tony,what type and grade of engine oil would you recommend for an Isuzu42? Thanks Richard

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:56pm

Dear Richard, I think this is a current engine and as such you should use the oil recommended by the mariniser who may well still be carrying the warranty on the engine (you do not give me any idea about its age). I am reluctant to make any recommendation but in the absence of a manual or any markings on the engine I would suggest an SAE 10W30 or SAE 15W40 in API CC if its an inland boat or API CF if its a sea-boat. However I refer you back to the manual and mariniser. Tony Brooks

rgrobinson
rgrobinson

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:21pm

Hello again Tony,thanks for your prompt reply The engine is 5 years old and has approx 950 hours use.I have recentley bought the boat and would like to change the oil,i dont understand the API,CC or CD grading system-should i use a mineral,synthetic or semi synthetic oil? Richard

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:16am

Dear Richard, I am sorry to be blunt, but if you do not know the significance of API specifications and think all you have to worry about is mineral oil v synthetic oil should you really be undertaking an oil change? I also not that you have not mentioned the vital task that is undertaken the same time as an oil change - that is changing the oil filter. Do you know the correct procedure for fitting the new filter? The American Petroleum Institute's (API) system of oil specification tell you, the user, in a non-technical way, something about the way the oil will react in use and its properties. There is some evidence that using an oil with a too high API specification might (not will) contribute to bore glazing. I have no intention of telling you if you need a mineral,synthetic oil etc. because that in now way tells us how the oil will perform (although we might make an informed guess). If you buy oil on the basis you suggest and ignore the API specification you could be buying junk that breaks down whilst in use, waste money buying oil that is far too well specified for the engine type and duty it has to perform or even possible induce bore glazing. My advice remains API CC for inland use or CF for sea use unless your manual says something different. Also it is important to stick to the marinisers oil change intervals. Sorry, but I simply not going down the mineral v synthetic route of oil specification. Tony Brooks

rgrobinson
rgrobinson

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:43am

Thanks Tony, Well i thought id asked a straightforward question! Ive now read up on API etc and have found the type of oil i need and where to get it from.I think i can manage to change oil and filters. I couldnt have done it without your advice,thanks,i wont bother you again.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.