Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
trikenutt
trikenutt

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:12pm

Post Subject: BMC 1.5 Diesel Engine

Hi Tony I contacted you some time ago about my 1.5 BMC in my Cruiser. The information you have sent me so far has helped a great deal, although, I still have a few problems. Can you please give me more information about the diesel pump. I have sent you a few photos so you can see the type of pump I am using. You said in your last message that the bleed screw on the turret of the pump or at least what I thought was a bleed screw is actually a fuel metering valve this has been altered and I am wondering what the hexagon bolt that screws into the pump with a copper sealing washer is. To my knowledge I thought this bolt should be tight, to create an air tight seal. Can you tell me exactly how to adjust the fuel metering valve? There is also to hex bolts with a round ball attached to the top of them. These have also been moved can you also tell me what I have done wrong here? And also the diesel pump drive shaft fell out of the pump the last time the pump was off. You said in your message, the drive on the pump has a master spline as long as I have fitted it correctly it should be OK. Are you telling me the shaft can only be fitted into the pump one way? When you look at these photo's, you will notice that the throttle arm is different this is because when the pump was reconned it had to have a new throttle spindle fitted. I am really asking you three questions What are the two Hex Botls on the top Turret of the diesel pump and how do you set them? Is it possible to fit the drive spindle in the diesel pump at the wrong position? What is the small Hex bolt on the left hand side of the Turret on the pump for? I hope you can help Tony as your help previously has given me better knowledge of the engine and hope you can help me on these problems. Many thanks Tony and look forward to hearing from you soon.

BMC 1.5 Diesel Engine
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:24am

That pump looks like a mechanically governed DPA pump and not a hydraulically governed one as fitted to BMC 1.5s. I must now find out exactly what engine you have in the boat. I suspect it might be a BMC 2.2 or 2.5, a Perkins 4-xxx or a Landrover diesel. If it is a 1.5 I think someone has fitted the wrong injector pump. Please send me some photos of the engine taken from varying angles to Tony@TB-Training.co.uk NOT the forum so I can view them at full size. If you can not get them sent by noon tomorrow (Tuesday) please delay sending them for two weeks. However if you can identify the engine yourself a text email during that time will be fine. Tony Brooks

trikenutt
trikenutt

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:30pm

Hi Tony What you have says about the diesel pump sounds exactly like the problem! To let you understand, the first time this pump was taken off the engine, the drive spindle for the pump had been set at 6 O'Clock position not the 5 O'Clock position. This would make sense to me as the engine sounded retarded when it was running in this position. Can this pump be timed to run properly on this engine by changing the drive spindle position? The engine is definitely BMC 1.5 as I have just bought many parts for it including a full gasket set. The gasket set I have bought is for a BMC 1.5 J2 Nufield. I will send some photo's to the email address you have provided this evening. Many thanks for your help Tony, this is very much appreciated.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:46pm

To any other readers. Because I now need to identify the engine and this forum has no facility for sending decent pictures this question is now being dealt with by email. I will post something about the result here once its known. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:21am

The pictures sent to me were not very good quality but I can now say that although the engine has many BMC1.5 features it also seems to have some non-standard ones. From this I conclude it is a Fred in a shed type marinisation and the balance of probability suggests it has the wrong injector pump fitted. Unfortunately this means I can not be much help without seeing the whole setup and even then I would need to see the pump on test to compare its internal timing and delivery against a normal BMC 1.5 one. I think its time to pay for an experienced engineer who is familiar with BMCs to look at it. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.