Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
solace
solace

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:26pm

Post Subject: Solid Fuel Stoves

I am about to rep[lace the solid fuel stove on my boat but have heard rumours of new regulations about to be introduced, can anyone tell me what these might be? I believe there was an article in Canal Boat on this subject.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:29pm

Dear Rodney, My understanding is that a consortium of interested parties with little knowledge of the practicality of solid fuel stoves have drawn up some draft standards and put them out to consultation. These standards had things about chimney height, thickness of fireproof material under the fire (totally ignoring the fact that many/most boat stoves have a 2" air-gap under them) and the need for a double skinned chimney that in reality meant almost all stoves in boats would be banned. A number of people wrote or emailed to express their concerns and point out the problems. The whole thing looked as if the draft regulations had been cobbled together from various building regulations and codes with little regard to the practicalities and also the actual risks as opposed to the perceived risks involved. The whole thing now seems to have gone very quiet. All I can suggest is that you make the same enquiry of the Boat Safety Scheme: http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com/site/ContactUs_8 .asp (all on one line). However I doubt they will be willing to advise until the new standards become mandatory. Tony Brooks

solace
solace

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:12pm

Dear Tony, thanks for your reply, I somehow guessed that this might be the case. I have looked on the Boat Safety Scheme website but can find no reference to the subject. The manufacturers of the stove, Villager, however recommend that installation should comply with the Building Regs. which leaves me in considerable doubt as to the best course of action as compliance on a boat is near impossible.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:36pm

Dear Rodney, I would phone the BSS. I suspect they started the whole thing hoping that someone else would take the flack from whatever the results were, but the results, so far, seem so unbelievable that I suspect the BSS wish they never started it. When I installed mine I made sure it was sitting on a 50mm concrete paving slap, screwed to the floor, the stove was well secured. There was ample non-combustible material in front of the fire door, the cabin ventilation exceeded the BSS requirement plus I fitted a CO alarm. The most important ting is that the surround must be constructed of totally non-combustible material with an air-gap or thermally insulated gap between the surround and any combustible material behind it. This in no way purports to be compliant with the forthcoming standards or even current best practise, but its what I have done. TB

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.