Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
allison
allison

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:20pm

Post Subject: Drive Shaft Noise

Whilst reducing speed on my narrowboat I have noticed an intermittent squealing/squeaking noise which seems to be worse when the engine is hot. Turning the prop from the weed hatch results in an intermittent rubbing noise (the stern gland is fully lubricated and the unit has a Vetus drive coupling).I have also noticed that the castellated nut, retaining the prop, can be moved with finger pressure, although the split pin is still in position. Could there be a connection or have I got two problems? Any ideas please.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:45am

Dear Mike, the propshaft nut should not be finger tight so the first thing to do is to get it tightened up. It is not unusual for the shaft to make a rubbing noise when turned by hand, but I would want to ensure it is not slightly bent. Clamp a piece of wood or metal to the back of an engine bed so it is very close to the shaft and the revolve the shaft. The gap between metal/wood & shaft should not alter. However before you do that have a read of my reply to the question about noise that is just below this one. To be honest the intermittent nature of the noise makes me feel it may well be hydrophonic and if your prop is clear of debris it could still be leaves at this time of year. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:32pm

Whilst flogging up the Atherston fight this morning I realised that your words the gland is fully lubricated should not be taken to mean it is a packed gland and that is could be a Vetus (or other make) of water lubricated gland. If this is the case please check the gland's documents to make sure there are no routine servicing requirements and that any water supply is positive enough to lubricate the gland. This is only for packless glands. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.