Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
twiggy2
twiggy2

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:16pm

Post Subject: Fitting RCD to inverter suopplied 230v AC ring main

I have just purchased an 1800 watt inveter. I have connected it up to my battery bank and tested it with a small load, and it all worked fine. However, when I used an RCD tester, the tester told me that the Live / Neutral wires were reversed, and to abandon the test. I treid to trip it anyway, which actually acheived nothing. I then tried my martindale tester, which told me the same about the live / neutral wire and said there was an earth fault. I sought the advice of an electrician freind and he said that as I was on a boat and it was afloat, I acrually did not have an earth path, because the boat was afloat and not connected to earth, even though I had an earth wires running to the engine bed and another from the casing of the inverter to another part of the engine room, a braket welded to the hull. It would appear that an RCD will never work properly unless I have an earth path and this requires being tied alongside, it will not work (nor protect) when I am moving. What can I do to make my inverter safe for operation, any help gratefully received! Peter

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:06am

Post Subject: Fitting RCD to inverter suopplied 230v AC ring main

Dear Peter, The first thing you need to do is to WRITE to the inverter suppler and ask: 1. Can you fit a neutral-earth bond on their inverter. 2. If not how do you protect yourself with a RCD. 3. How will they indemnify you against damage or claims resulting from a 230V AC inverter system that can not be used with an RCD. I suspect your inverter's output are from a 115 - 0 - 115 voltage device so the line (brown cable) is running at 115V+ and the neutral at 115V-, giving 230v across the pair. Trying to make an "earth" on this type of inverter is likely to cause an expensive bang & smoke. The RCD will NOT work if the supply is from such an inverter however you tie up. It will work from a shoreline connection (assuming its suitably wired to the boat) even if the boat was floating free. The earth we talk about on boats is the metal hull. I am not qualified to advise on mains topics but from discussions elsewhere it seems this is a common problem involving "big name" equipment. In my unqualified state of knowledge I am far less worries about the safety of such inverter supplies than I am about shorelines that have no RCD and no earth to hull bond. I must advise that you seek the advice of a properly qualified marine electrician who is experienced in inverter derived mains supplies. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.