Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tom
Tom

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:40am

Post Subject: Stove problem

Hello CB Team I have an Aarow Becton 18 Multifuel stove (4 years old) fitted in my narrowboat. The knob on the ash door has become extremely difficult to turn even with two hands. I am wary of using any kind of lubricant which may be combustible. Could you please advise me how to free the door knob. I have tried to contact Aarow but they have failed to respond. Thank you Tom

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:18pm

Dear Tom, unfortunately I have no drawings for any stoves (apart from my Hunter and a Brunell) so I am unsure about what this knob you talk about is supposed to do. On my Brunell it could be the primary air control or the ash pan door catch. However I am sure it simple rust and I am also sure you will not get anywhere without the help of penetrating oil (Plusgas is a trade name) but it is VITAL that you do not get it anywhere near the stove when it is alight or even warm. If its A screw in and out damper see if you can get a wire brush to any exposed threads to clean of as much rust as you can. Then wrap the thread in tissue and soak it in the penetrating oil (NOT 3 in 1 etc). Keep the tissue wet and let it soak at least over night. Longer is better. Remove the tissue and apply the fluid directly to the thread and start working the knob. I expect it will gradually free off, as it does so change to something like 3 in 1 or cycle oil. When the knob is free find out how to take it off so you can dress the thread with copper or graphite grease. If its the door catch apply similar tactics to the above, but you will probably only be able to twist it through perhaps 180 degrees. The area around the knob will smoke like crazy when the stove gets up to temperature so make sure you have plenty of ventilation. Also clean as much of the oil off before lighting the stove, but leave the copper or graphite grease on. As the grease burns off it will leave a copper or graphite coating to help minimise future problems but make reapplying the grease an annual (summer) job. Tony Brooks

Tom
Tom

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:57pm

Hi Tony Thanks for the speedy response. You are correct about the knob - it controls the primary air flow at the bottom of the stove but also allows access to the ash pan. I will follow your advice to see if it rectifies the problem and carry out the annual maintenance that you have recommended. Thanks again Tom

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.