Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
jessica
jessica

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:47am

Post Subject: Heating.

I would like to change my heating system from, Gas Alde, to Diesel. As I am recentley widowed it would be more convenient than moving the large gas cylinders about. I was going to Webasto but have now been told Eberspacher is far better. I have a 40ft NB. with 4 rads. (2 Lrge, 1 Sml & Towel rail) Could you advise which you think might suit me best. Thank You. Jess.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:32pm

Post Subject: Heating.

Dear Jess, I am afraid the big three diesel boiler makers have gathered something of a reputation amounts the inland community. I understand one may have lost a court case, another is advertising an alleged advantage of their offering by implying a problem the others have with red diesel. Another requires a visit from a service engineer plus laptop to reset after certain faults occur and so on. To be absolutely honest I do not think any of the big three would be a wise decision. Some people swear by them whilst others have nothing but problems. I went through this process and in the end chose an Alde despite the alleged poor gas consumption. I have yet to come across a boatyard that would not fit the cylinders when asked and I often have problems being allowed to put my 19kg cylinder aboard the boat so if all you are concerned about is the cylinders I suspect that could be overcome by simply asking for help - I am sure fellow boaters would be happy to help if they are able and are asked. There is a diesel boiler made in Canada and distributed by Calcutt boats that I think you ought to look at. It is called the Hurricane and it seems to get far less of a bad name than any of the others. As I will not use diesel heating I can not recommend it but it would be my choice if I did go for diesel. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.