Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
robert1111
robert1111

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:31am

Post Subject: electrics

we are having a boat built by colecraft and i am curently researching electrics, can anyone shed any light on what these are... "travel power" (electrolux engine mounted 220v alternator) and... "victron invertor charger" also i'm planning to charge our batteries from sola panels and i'd like to know how these two systems (above) would be affected ??

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:15pm

Post Subject: electrics

Dear Roberto, The Travelpower (if it is still in volume production) is a large alternator plus control box that delivers mains voltage from the engine which is said to be independent of engine speed, although low engine speed will only give a low current output. The inverter-charger (often known as a combi-unit)is an electronic box of tricks that acts as a battery charger when a mains supply from shore is connected (or the output from the combi-unit)and provides mains type electricity from your batteries when away from shore power. Now, looking at your message in total and making a few assumptions what I can say is you seem to be very rich, poorly advised or somewhat uninformed. The reason I say this is because both the items you ask about tend to indicate a planned heavy electrical load and to cover large loads requires lots of solar panels. If you want to go solar for an economical cost you need to minimise your electrical loads, even to the extent of choosing a gas fridge. May I suggest that you carry out a preliminary power audit/battery bank size/charging calculation before you go too much further. The instructions are on my website in either set of notes (www.tb-training.co.uk). Then you can make some informed choices rather than trying to work to a wish list that could end in expense and tears. Please come back with more questions if you think I can help. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.