Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
daletremon
daletremon

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:34pm

Post Subject: pump out loo

Hi Tony Our local marina recently removed our cassette loo and fitted a pumpout. We had asked for a loo with a dual flush to reduce water consumption but eventually agreed to have the techma silent as the marina said they could minimise the amount of water in the flush.We were told it would have a red light warning to indicate when a pumpout was required. We paid £2,000 all in. After 4 days of use the loo ceased to evacuate. The green light was still on.We checked our voltage and then noticed that effluent was discharging through the breather pipe on the roof. We rang the marina who said that probably our model didnt have a gauge and the green light was simply to tell us the loo was functioning. We asked how the tank could be full after 4 days use with 2 people. (It's half a double bed size). The marina visited our boat and told us to take it to a pump out which was 13 locks and 6 hours away. They said they would fit a gauge later. We attempted to pumpout our boat after our longer than unplanned journey but it did not work. We again rang the marina and had to leave our boat. 2 weeks later they visited our boat and said the pipework was fine and the pumpout was probably faulty. This all seems bizarre to us. Is it normal for a loo to be fitted without a gauge to tell you when it's nearly full. Is it normal for a largish tank to fill in 4 days? We suspect that either it wasnt delivered empty or there is something wrong with the installation. Do you have any thoughts on this? We would be grateful for your views. Best Wishes Dale

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:32pm

Dear Dale, yes I do have a view. If you have documents or witnesses to substantiate what the marina told you then engage an surveyor to give a professional opinion, ask the marina to fulfil the contract as agreed and if you get no satisfaction go to the small claims court. Your story stinks and suggests incompetence at the least. Unfortunately I am not able to inspect the boat so can not give a definitive opinion (apart from to say the dump throughs have much to commend them!). I know of one boat that had the pump out connected to the breather connection on the tank and that had symptoms similar to yours but it would not explain why the tank filled so fast. I wonder if the pressurised water supply has a permanent trickle into the tank. Tanks are heavy enough without trying to install one that is full so I doubt it was installed even partially full but problems with the connection and testing MIGHT haver filled the tank before you got to use it. To be honest I must question why, if the nearest pump out is 6 hours away, you ever did away with the cassette. I know they are heavy and not pleasant to empty but you really are in a fix now toilet wise. If what you say is true and can be proven then the installation is clearly not fit for purpose and its up to the marina to sort it out INCLUDING getting it pumped out. Certainly talk to your local Trading Standards people if you can get past the Consumer Direct gate keepers. Tony Brooks

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:40pm

Hi Tony Thanks for your advice which I shall act upon. Could you just give me some clarification. Is it normal or reasonable to fit such a loo without a gauge to tell you how full it is? Thanks again Dale

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:05pm

That all depends upon the specification of the toilet system you selected and your contract with the marina. From what you say about the red warning lamp I would think (but I am not a lawyer) that in your case it would have been a breach of contract not to do so. I would hope such closed systems where you can not "look down the hole" & see the level would have an indicator fitted but I can not be sure. I do know that one of the systems of this type has a habit of putting its level system over centre if over filled (or I suspect if tilted or turned upside down during delivery or installation) but I do not know if it is your one. When that happens I understand the warning lamp is on all the time - sounds kind of familiar doesn't it. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.