Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:45pm

Post Subject: invertors

can any one give me any input regarding invertors in as much wich one to purchase, i.e. pure or modified sine wave.As we all know the price difference between the two is massive, the equipment i want to use is a modern flat screen t.v. fridge, lap top computer, dvd player,hair dryer, is there any one using this type of equipment on a modified sine wave invertor. Thanks, regards Alan Clarke.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:48pm

Post Subject: invertors

Dear Alan, When I see list of equipment like yours I am forced to wonder if you have done a power audit for your boat and intended use of equipment & charging procedures. Without knowing far more about your setup my immediate conclusion is that you are inviting battery problems, bit in them being discharged so the inverter (of either type)cuts out and/or short battery life. However to address your question I fear that just because one or two people say they have used such equipment with modified sine wave inverters does not mean that you will be able to unless you duplicate their setup right down to models and brands. In general terms trying to use a modified sine wave inverter with audio-visual equipment has a good chance of interference on sound and/or bars and other interference on the TV screen. It would not be sensible to run the laptop of an inverter & incur two lots of conversion losses when you can by "car" 12v laptop supplies for about £20 from Maplin. The same comment applies to the TV. Why not get a dedicated 12v set. The hairdryer will almost certainly be fine and so will the fridge UNLESS it either has an electronic thermostat (but even then it may be fine) or your inverter can not supply the starting surge. If you decide to get a modified sine wave inverter I would advise you to get a written guarantee that it will work the equipment you list or your money will be returned. I suspect this will be far easier said than achieved. Sorry, Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.