Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Dayv68
Dayv68

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:03pm

Post Subject: new adventure

I am about to purchase a narrow boat and plan to sail it from its' current birth in Whilton and sail her to the Gloucester and sharpness canal. What ruote would I take and how long would it take? Thanks, Dave

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:37pm

Dear Dave, The answer really is whatever route you like and it takes as long a sit takes. Now that is not much help so have a play with this: www.canalplan.org.uk (all on one line). If you are single handing then I suspect that by the time you have done the Buckby & Braunston flights of broad locks you may decide the Hatton flight is not for you so I suspect you would go via the North Oxford, Trent & Mersey, Staffs & Worcester and the River Severn. This route is all narrow canals with few long flights. If you want to shorten the route then the Birmingham & Fazely then the Worcester & Birmingham then the Severn would knock a few days off at the expense of one of the longest narrow lock flights on the system. Alternatively after Birmingham you could use the Stratford then the Avon (Extra license) to the Severn. Allow between 2 and 4 weeks now the days are getting short and personally I would avoid rivers if I could at this time of year. You can not avoid the Severn but you can avoid the Avon. Play with Canalplanner! Tony Brooks

Dayv68
Dayv68

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:51pm

Thanks Tony.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.