Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
wirren...
wirren...

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:14pm

Post Subject: FUEL FILTER WITH NO WATER DRAIN OFF

I have a 2007 Sea Otter that is fitted with a Nanni 21hp engine, 2 fuel filters are fitted. The one near the tank is a Fleetguard FF5018 & the one on the engine ia a Nanni one ( still painted blue ). My question is - there is no 'water' drain off on the first filter, does this matter ? Should I introduce an agglomerator or would it be overkill ? If an agglomerator is necessary should I be able to replace the Fleetguard with one without any major problems ? Should I just replace the Fleetguard with same annually ? Thanks in advance !

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:48am

Dear Mark, I am disappointed with Sea Otter because that item is a simple filter and although any filter would act as an agglommerator I would have preferred a sedimentor there because it is more clog resistant and it arguably presents less restriction to flow. If you take that filter to a friendly motor factors they may well be able to match it to another make that has a drain but you will have to change the plastic drain screw to a metal set screw to make it compliant with the BSS. Personally I doubt it is cost effective to change it to a sedimentor but do all you can to prevent a water build up in the tank. Change the element whenever you change the fuel filter or once a year, whichever period is shorter. Keep the tank full over the winter, use a water removing fuel additive, make sure the filler is watertight and check rain can not enter the tank breather. Tony Brooks

wirren...
wirren...

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:02pm

Another thanks Tony, its good to know you are there, much appreciated !

wirren...
wirren...

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:15pm

Update since my post,I have been advised that an 'upgrade'for the FF5018 filter the FS1221 is recommended. This one does have a water drain, but it is a plastic one, which as you mention would need replacing.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:26pm

They are usually either 6mm or 8mm threads but it could be a unified size. All you need is a short setscrew (a bolt with the tread all the way along its shank) and a soft washer. Its almost worth paying B&Q prices for them. TB

wirren...
wirren...

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:02pm

Hi Tony, I have now fitted a fuel filter with a water drain underneath, I would like to ask how often it should be operated ( assuming NO WATER visible when tried ). Is it say every 10 hours, 5o hours running ??? Regards, Mark.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:54am

You need to be informed by the amount of water it is collecting so the more water it collects the more frequently it needs draining. On a typical boat I would say start every month and work from there. You should replace the filter every time you service the fuel system of if it gets gets contaminated with water. Tony Brooks

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:54am

You need to be informed by the amount of water it is collecting so the more water it collects the more frequently it needs draining. On a typical boat I would say start every month and work from there. You should replace the filter every time you service the fuel system of if it gets gets contaminated with water. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.