Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
bluemist001
bluemist001

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:15pm

Post Subject: bmc 1.5 engine

i have just drained my main fuel tank of water renewed it with a smaller one i am having probs now getting started both batteries are new the engine electrics are fine i checked the lift pump that seemed fine iget fuel to my filters but the engine wont fire up all the air seemsout of the system any advice please thanks kenny kemp blue mist

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:59am

Dear Kenny, BMC 1.5s are known as not to be the easiest to bleed. I must assume that you have no air leaks in the pipework, have sufficient fuel in the tank and the fuel tap(s) is/are turned on. There is a large hexagon banjo bolt head on top of the main engine filter. Loosen this and pump the priming lever on the lift pump until pure fuel flows out. If after 10 or 15 minutes you still get air mixed with the fuel you have an air leak in the pipes or on the lift pump. Tighten that bolt and inspect the injector pump. There is a small 8mm headed bolt fitted into a 10 or 12mm hexagon on the side of the cylindrical aluminium part of the pump on the vast majority of 1.5s. Carefully loosen this 8mm bolt and make sure the stop control is fully in the RUN position. Now use the priming lever again for several minutes until at least a minute has elapsed AFTER you appear to have reached the "no air in fuel" point. Tighten the 8mm bolt. Now loosen the injector pipe, about half a turn or so, on each injector - the larger nuts (5/8AF?). Spin engine on the starter with the throttle set to mid speed until fuel spits or drips from each big nut. Tighten the pipe unions and it should start. If you have lots of whitish exhaust smoke but it will not start the you have a heater or compression problem, a few wisps of smoke indicates no fuel into the cylinders so bleed again. Tony Brooks

bluemist001
bluemist001

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:33pm

thanks tony hope i can put the wifes towing rope away soon

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.