Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Ray
Ray

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:41am

Post Subject: Water Tank Liner

Hi Tony, I own a 58ft Liverpool Boat hulled narrowboat and would like to fit a flexible water tank liner in the bow. Has the magazine covered such an installation in a past article? (I have been taking the magazine for approx 2 years and can't remember seeing one). Any installation advice you can offer would be a great help. Thanks Ray

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:41am

Dear Raymond, I do not recall a piece about fitting tank liners, probably because each boat will be different. If you try to fit a liner in a rusty tank, or one with any internal projections you stand a good chance of puncturing the liner as the water sloshes about inside it and with engine vibration. This means you will have to prep the tank, de-rust and re-black at the least before fitting a liner. It may also involve an angle grinder and drilling more holes in the tank. I suggest that you take a look at this topic on the Canal World Forum http://www.canalworld.net/forums/lofiversion/ind ex.php?t18749.html (all on one line). It also gives you the contact details for a supplier who seems well regarded. If the tank is still rough after de-rusting etc. talk to the suppler about first lining the tank with something like pond liner underlay. Tony Brooks

Ray
Ray

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:46pm

Tony, Thanks for once again for giving me some excellent advice, I'm sure it's the best policy to ask around before starting any boat job. I hadn't thought about projection and possible punctures! Thanks Ray

pdscaz
pdscaz

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:12pm

have fitted liner bought from dura tank advert in back of mag they gave geat help on design and how to fit as t says treating old tank and removing sharp edges hards part removing tank cover !

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.