Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
tonyblay
tonyblay

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:32pm

Post Subject: SR3 Lister engine - diesel spill

I have diesel going into my engine oil, I had the problem some 7 years ago and an engineer said it was the diesel spill pipe, I would like to have a go at fixing it myself, I have the manual but it doesnt explain what to do. Q, Do I remove the top to access the pipes ( where the oil filler caps are) Q, How do identify which pipe is leaking, can I run the engine with the top off? to see what is leaking? Q, If i'm on the right track and there is a leak at a joint do I just "nip" it up (is it an olive) Any help is much appreciated. By the way you helped me with my gearbox cone recently and I have managed to sort that out - thanks Regards Tony

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:00am

Dear Anthony, First of all remove the three rocker covers and then the cooling air exhaust duct and the thin metal plate thing that attaches the ducts to the engine. This will expose a large side cover fitted to the housing that contains the injection pumps, push-rods and fuel pipes. Clean the whole area up and dry it so any leak will be obvious then run the engine while you locate the leak. It could be a cracked pipe or a loose union or bleed screw. I can not tell you how to deal with a leak because if its an injector pump bleed screw on an non-self bleeding engine you would just do it up again ensuring its soft washer is in good order. If its a self bleeding engine you would need to take more care because you will be tightening a banjo union with two soft washers and the possibility of twisting the banjo and causing another leak. If its the leak off pipe on an injector then it could either be an adaptor screwed into the injector that has come loose or the olive type union that fixes the pipe to the adaptor (it may be a banjo union here.). It is also possible that the main fuel supply to the injector pumps is leaking. This time its more often a union than a split pipe. My advice would be to remove the whole leak off pipe system, use a blow lamp top heat it all to red hot (hoping no-one has repaired it with soft solder) and letting it cool. Then wash out with great care. This will anneal the copper and make it soft again so it is less likely to split in the future. If its a split pipe or pipe joint it will need brazing or silver soldering. Tony Brooks

tonyblay
tonyblay

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:01pm

Thanks Tony, I will have a look at this at the weekend, I really appreciate your help. Tony

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:13am

I have just re-read my reply.I noticed I forgot to tell you to remove that side cover and I meant clean the stuff you find inside it. Cheers & the best of luck TB

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.