Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
greenhouse
greenhouse

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:51pm

Post Subject: Boat Heating

I have central heating on my boat powered by a Mikuni diesel heater which also heats water via a calorifier. Separately the engine cooling circuit (skin tank)also heats water via another coil in the calorifier.Both systems which have separate header tanks contain 50% glycol heat transfer fluid. I would like to be able to use the engine circuit for central heating when underway. What modifications would be necessary to achieve this?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:07am

Post Subject: Boat Heating

Dear Howard, if you can run the Mikuni water pump without it firing up then you will probably get a degree of heat by just running the pump. Heat will transfer via the calorifier. If you can not run the Mikuni pump then you could fit another central heating pump but make sure water can flow freely through it when it is turned off. Otherwise it would prevent the Mikuni pump from circulating the water. If you want higher temperatures then you have a potential problem with a pressurised engine system and an unpressurised heating system. The easiest way would be to feed the outlet from the engine calorifier coil through a heat exchanger/oil cooler with the central heating water flowing around the outside of the core. However, having said all that I must point out that few engines use a thermostat to control the water flow through the engine. Most engines also take the calorifier feed from the engine side of the thermostat and those two things means that you stand a very good chance of over cooling the engine which just might have implications on engine life, oil change intervals and fuel consumption. By all means try using the heat tans fer through the calorifier but take great care if you intend to spend much money. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.