Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
cousinjack
cousinjack

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:49pm

Post Subject: dehumiedifiers

Hi chaps, I am in rather a quandry. I am looking for a 12v dehumidifier for our 60 foot semitrad narrowboat. is there anyone that makes such an animal or am I stuck with the domestic mains powered type? using 12 v would be beter than havng to run the inverter just to power it. If not what type and size should I be looking for? Domestic types seem to come in all shapes and sizes and I am totally confused. Regards Andy n.b. Cousin Jack

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:48pm

Dear Andy, Please reconsider this UNLESS you will only use the dehumidifier on a shoreline and then just use a domestic model. Trying to run a dehumidifier form the batteries is a recipe for flat batteries and early failure. Condensation is cured by lots of ventilation, dry bilges and minimising the use of the gas stove and non-vented gas heaters. If you do decide to use a dehumidifier you should do all you can to prevent outside air being drawn into the boat, otherwise you will just be dehumidifying the atmosphere. You must also take care to ensure you are able to deal with the water that dehumidifiers collect. Last winter the magazine published a bit about a solar dehumidifier that fitted to a window but I have no idea how effective it actually is. Sorry, Tony Brooks

cousinjack
cousinjack

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:33pm

Thanks Tony, you have confirmed my suspicions, I rather thought that might be the consequence. Will just open the windows in future. Cheers Andy

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:06pm

If its condensation on windows whilst you are aboard I have been told that stick on secondary double glazing film from the likes of Wilkinson's is effective. However it might not make an airtight seal with tongue & groove cabin lining and the sticky tape might not be so easy to get off the woodwork.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.