Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

 

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
pedro7
pedro7

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:46am

Post Subject: gas vs electric

I am looking into buying my first narrowboat with a view to permanent living on board - are there advantages/disadvantages from all electic boats to gas and electric ones

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:45am

Post Subject: gas vs electric

Yes - anyone who even thinks about any form of electric heating on a narrowboat UNLESS they are connected to a shoreline or are able to run a generator after the 20.00 BW deadline is asking for battery problems and a lot of expense. I doubt if even 0.5% of boats are all electric and you do not hear about the other 99.5% exploding so gas is very safe. If you go down the all electric route expect to be paying many hundreds of pounds for your battery bank (possibly over £1000) and plan to replace them from every two years or so (unless you have shoreline charging). Well charged and looked after true 2 volt deep cycle cells should least far, far longer than this but its getting adequate charging that gives the problems. Those cells that are well charged and looked after may last for 6 to 10 years or even more but you will not know for sure until you try it. If you only have engine alternator charging it is always best to try to minimise your electrical loads. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook



Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.