Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
wirren
wirren

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:38pm

Post Subject: Fitting a car heater in a boat.........

Hello, Having built kit cars in the past I was wondering if anyone has fitted a car heater in their narrow boat. I have a calorifier fitted & wondered if it is possible to fit 2 T's with on / off in the cal circuit. This would allow one to choose between domestic hot water & hot air. Am I correct in supposing the heater unit would have to be 'in' the cabin rather than having it in the engine area & ducting the hot air into the cabin. Does there have to be a fire wall... for safety etc.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:52pm

Dear Mark, I am not aware of a regulation that requires a firewall on private boats. It would not be a good idea draw air from the engine room because of fumes and smell so I would mount it inside the accommodation. I think a T for the return and a tap with a T drilling at the calorifier outlet to feed the heater matrix would be the way to go. That would give priority to the calorifier heating and then allow you to direct the remaining heat either back to the cooling system or through the matrix. Once the calorifier is up to temperature the water leaving it will be almost as hot as the water entering it so you get maximum cabin heating. Tony Brooks

wirren
wirren

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:52pm

Thanks for that Tony, I'm not doing it yet but it certainly has given me something else to consider. I will need to find a small neat car heater that will fit in the area below the top step on my NB.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.