Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
boysclub09
boysclub09

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:58pm

Post Subject: height query

can you please tell me the normal distance from outside of stern to floor of boats? i am planning the arrangemants for a wheelchair lift - IF / when i find one to buy...

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:11pm

Post Subject: height query

Dear Steve, This distance will vary from boat to boat. A boat built with (say) a 12mm base plate may well have one layer of ballast less than one built with an 8mm baseplate so if the boat was designed for it, the floor could be lower to increase the headroom. I suggest you visit a few brokers with a steel tape and take some measurements. I suspect the stern doors on most narrowboats would be too narrow and possible with a twist in the access to make a lift practical. This probably means that you will need the hull constructed to allow for a lift right from the start. I have also seen wheelchair access achieved by cutting and hinging part of one side of the bow so chairs can be pushed onto the front well deck. It might be easier to get wide front doors with enough area behind for the lift platform. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.