Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Ray
Ray

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:44am

Post Subject: Shower Cubicle

Hi Tony, I want to refurbish and update my narrowboats shower cubicle. Two sides are tiled partion walls, the third a perspex screen and the front a folding door. The tiled walls have leaked due to small almost invisible cracks in the grouting and I want to avoid this problem this time round. Do you know of a waterproof wall cladding which I can use on the two partion walls, I can't find any mention in the magazine advert's. Also is there a recommended grouting for narrowboats, I'm sure the walls "move" when the boat heats up and cools down with the weather's temperature etc. Is there a book which covers shower installation? My regards, Ray Fairwood

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:33am

Dear Raymond, There is nothing about this in the bathroom section of the Canal Boat Manual but there is a small discussion in Waterways World's The New Narrowboat Builder's Book. I know most of the DIY sheds sell sheets of "plastic" tiles that you stick on and have far fewer joints and I have seen some nice decorative "almost acrylic" sheets in B&Q. If I was using tiles I would stick them on with cork tile adhesive (if has some give so accepts vibration and the wood's expansion & contraction) and grout with silicon. The grouting would be messy so you could try proper waterproof grouting. Hopefully you could rake it out and use silicon if the grout cracked. My own boat uses Formica type laminate with capping strips along the top. The bottom and vertical joints are sealed with silicon. The WWW book also talks about using vinyl flooring. Once you starts thinking about it you have a fair choice of coverings for this type of duty. Tony Brooks

Ray
Ray

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:38am

Thanks once again Tony. Regards Ray

pdscaz
pdscaz

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:49pm

google "respatex" for your local stockist of water/shower proof laminate sheet comes in many style's

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.