Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
825eagle
825eagle

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:02pm

Post Subject: Boat length

I am looking to buy a 65ft widebeam boat. Have been told that the normal size should be 57ft so that it can negotiate turning spaces. Am I going to have trouble turning round or not? Also, what are the rules for travelling at night? Have seen some boats with nav lights but nothing written down, any ideas? David.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:24pm

Dear David, unfortunately you fail to tell us the full story like where do you intend to operate the boat and what style of wide-beam (Wide beam "narrowboat" or Dutch Barge type). I am fairly sure a 65ft wide-beam would not even fit into some locks on the northern BW system, but it would in the southern BW wide system. Personally I can not see why you should not be able to turn it in 72ft winding holes except I suspect the beam would tend to put you into some very silted parts. I suggest that you contact the Barge Association (formerly the DBA) and ask their advice. As far as I am aware all BW require is the tunnel lamp with no requirement for actual navigation lights. I know the Thames (EA) require full navigation lights and if at anchor (not moored up) a masthead riding light. I suspect the other EA areas will be similar. The Thames (PLA) section probably require the full set of navigation lights that comply with SOLAS Regulations. I have no idea about the Broads, Wey etc. Installing the lights at build time would be far neater and probably cheaper than trying to install them at a later date. Can any wide beam owners give advice please.Tony Brooks

825eagle
825eagle

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:34pm

Many thanks for the prompt reply.It will be a wide beam narrow boat, used only in the south. Based on the Thames near to the Wye. David.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.