Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
mackenzie
mackenzie

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:55pm

Post Subject: gearbox change

Hi i have a sabb twin 18hp engine and box the gearbox has started to slip can i fit a more modern box and what will i need

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:16pm

Post Subject: gearbox change

Dear Roger, That engine is a typical marine design with the flywheel at the front. This means that the drive plate that virtually all modern engines use to drive the gearbox can not be fitted to your engine. You need a drive that in some way can be fitted to the back of the crankshaft. Now my Bukh (another engine of that general design) uses two claw like parts. One fixed to the crankshaft and one sliding on the splined gearbox input shaft so in my case I could probably drive a modern gearbox providing the splines were compatible. The Sabb is a much older design that I have very little experience of and it would not surprise me if engine oil also lubricates the gearbox like the old Volvos. If that is the case or if the drive arrangement cannot accept a modern gearbox I think it would cost more than its worth. I have not even mentioned the potential problems with getting a gearbox adaptor plate to suit. I suspect a good engineer could get new clutch parts if adjustment is not the problem. A commercial listing company give http://www.frenchmarine.com/ (all one line) as dealing with Sabb engines so give them a ring. Once again I ask any readers who have Sabb engines for their contacts. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.