Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
barrieaust
barrieaust

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:17pm

Post Subject: battery charging

I have bean reading in your magazine about types off batteries available but can you please advice me on what type off charging system to use on my leisure batteries. I purchased my narrow boat approx 12 months ago. It hs 2 leisure batteries and one starter battery. The boat came complete with two car type battery charges one for each bank off batteries.I have never had to charge the starter battery as the engine takes care off that,but I charge the leisure batteries from the car charger whenever possible to keep them topped up. Due to work I can only get to my boat every other weekend and I want to be able to leave my leisure batteries on charge 24/7. I was going to buy a new car battery charger with auto cut out etc, but boaters on the marina tell me that constant use off car type chargers ruin the battreies. Is this so? and what would you recomend to use to do the job safely? I am on a marina and have access to 240 volts. Best regards Barrie

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:54pm

Dear Barrie, The starter battery will very rarely need charging until it has started to fail and even then you have the car charger for emergency use. A MODERN car charger that reduces its charging voltage when it decides the battery is fully charged should be OK BUT as they may well be built to far more sever cost criteria I would hesitate to leave one running 24/7 just in case of a dramatic failure. It should be OK - but! My advice is to buy a proper marine multi-stage charger which (hopefully) has been built with running 24/7 unattended in mind. The size will depend on your battery bank but from what you say you want to do with it I would have thought a 20 or 30 amp one would be more than adequate. Check with the vendor and try to avoid any that say they do "adaptive charging". There is some anecdotal evidence that this may not work as intended in all cases and may perform less than optimally. A marine charger will probably do an occasional equalisation charge that just might help with sulphation. Tony Brooks

barrieaust
barrieaust

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:50am

Hi Tony, thanks for your very fast reply, less than 24 hours. I am impressed. :-)

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.