Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
808lane
808lane

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:15pm

Post Subject: Lister Petter LPWS3 40 00073LPWS3A045

My ex-Teddesley nb had problems of intermittent fuel solenoid (connections refitted), plus fanbelt failure leading to flat battery and subsequent jump-start.Following all this the oil presure, eng temp and voltmeter have failed to register although the warning lights seem ok,and rev counter showing but low. Engine starts and appears to be charging ok. Any chance you can suggest where I look? I've limited elec knowledge and otherwise will call in electrician. Many thanks, David

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:08pm

I would be looking for a wire that has fallen off. Try behind the ignition switch on the terminal that comes on with the ignition. I suspect there will be two wires there, one for the charge warning lamp and the other to feed the instrument. The instrument one may have fallen off and it may also have a fuse or circuit breaker in line. Also check the instrument panel negatives connections right back to the battery negative. I wonder if the jump starting has knocked a connection off the batteries. Before I would comment on the rev counter I would want to know the charging voltage after several hours running. but check the small W (rev counter) terminal on the back of the alternator for security. Tony Brooks

808lane
808lane

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:04am

Thanks for incredibly swift reply; I will check as you advise. David

808lane
808lane

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:08pm

Success! Found one cable broken in bunch of 7 at centralised earth to engine. Result - all instruments OK and tacho reading normal. Many thanks - saved me a bill! David

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:36pm

Thats good to know. Thanks for the feeback TB

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.