Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
dex006
dex006

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:50am

Post Subject: Wide Beam vs Narrow Beam

Hello Tony I just spend good few hovers trying to find some answers on few questions I have I just want to say thanks you so much for your advices. Because of my work every few years Iâm asked to move from place to place and at this point it seems the most reasonable thing for my wife and me to buy canal boat. Because I do not have any experience in this aria except reading some articles and few magazines can you please give some advices on what should I look to buy. Few boats that I had chance to see and speak with few owners where 57ft Narrow Beam so can you please tell me 1. Would you recommend me buying âSailawayâ boat? Or Fully Fitted? 2. How easy is to sell 57ft Narrow Beam? 3. Aproxemelt what would be depreciation of the bout and how much I should expect to get back if I decide to sell it? (Iâm probably hire talking lower end of the market) Wide Beam I had chance to see some very similar size(55ft) wide beam (10ft) and looking boats and Iâm wondering could you please tell me 1. Would I be very limited in navigating this size boat trough canals at this point particularly thinking of to Croxley, Watford aria? 2. Would I need to pay more on taxes, licenses, mooring ⦠because of the Wide beam 3. How easy is to sell Wide Beam (55tf) (10ft) 4. Is it depreciation bigger on Wide Beam in comparison with the narrow beam? Thank you so much for your help.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:15am

Dear Dejan, First of all you need to think about moorings. Proper residential moorings are all but impossible to find and the area you mention is rife with people shuffling their boats between 14 day moorings (or less) so they stay within British Waterway's regulations yet can still get to work. I am sure BW will make living on a boat whilst working in one place harder and harder as the years go on. Before you go any further spend some time phoning or visiting marinas etc and discuss residential moorings with them. A 57ft narrowboat can go pretty well throughout the system but a wide beam one will be stuck south of Birmingham (Grand Union only) or in the north. There is no wide beam connection apart from on a lorry. The wide beam boat will fit the GU in the Watford area but you will have mooring problems! I expect wide beam boats to be more difficult to sell and depreciate more than narrowboats because of the limited cruising area. The depreciation will depend upon so may things that it is hard to say but a well looked after boat with the hull and fit-out by well respected craftsmen bought in a shabby state and then done up may well appreciate. My own ex hire-boat appears to have maintained its value in pounds but inflation has made that worth less. A DIY fit-out may well cause the boat to depreciate at a very rapid rate. It all depends upon how well it is done and how unusual the layout is. BW licenses go by length. Environment Agency licenses go by area so in the EA's case a wide beam license would cost more. The mooring fees will be up to the individual operator. Lastly do not underestimate the time needed to do a self fit-out AND the legal consequences of not complying with the Recreational Craft Directive. If you do not comply you will be committing a criminal act if you try to sell withing 5 years of completion. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:27pm

I meant to add that paying close to or above £100,000 for a narrowboat is likely to lead to a lot of depreciation. Something by a mid to upper range builder in the 50 to 57 ft range will always be a popular boat. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.