Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
oddy58
oddy58

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:55pm

Post Subject: do i need a rudder

Hi Tony i have a 50ftx12ft x bw maintenence boat powered by hydaulicily and instead of having a weed hatch i simply undo a few bolts and lift the whole propelloer and motor assemble out onto the deck. Can i do away with the rudder and just turn the hydro motor to steer so it would work like an outboard. Would this work. Thanks Adrain Oddy

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:38pm

Post Subject: do i need a rudder

Dear Adrian, fist of all without seeing the installation there is no way I can know if you can turn the whole motor & drive assembly. Only inspecting it will show that. However if you can turn the whole assembly then it should steer as you suggest but I must make two points. First of all you make no mention of turning the whole engine so you must be planning to flex the hydraulic pipes whilst they are under pressure. You may not find this as easy as you think it will be. You will need to give it a try. Secondly you will end up with no "power off" steering which will make things difficult in some confined spaces. If you look at a number of outboard powered boats on the canal you are likely to find a rudder has been fixed to the outboard on many of them so they retain some "no power" steering. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.