Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
helend
helend

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:49pm

Post Subject: renting

hi i am looking for a narrow boat to rent in London. Does anybody have some advice as to how to go about this. The reason for renting is that i would like to try before i buy! I am of course looking on Apollo Duck, Gum tree and Ebay.........

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:13am

Post Subject: renting

Dear Helen, please be very, very careful. Any boat that is being rented out requires a more expensive license, different insurance and a far more stringent boat safety inspection including gas checks to the same standard as rented homes. hardly a month goes by on another forum without someone asking this question and London is often the location wanted. The same forum has several allusions to sharp practise in this market but I have not been able to find more details because it appears legal action is in progress. This does not apply to all outfits offering long term rental but please be aware and take care. Deals that look too good usually are. Have you thought about how you will get a mooring? If you want to live on a boat with the ability to stay in one place and not be subject to being moved on/out at a moments notice then you need a full residential mooring. These are very difficult to find and I would hazard a guess they will be impossible in London. It is good that you are sensible enough to want to rent before you buy but London, long term, and residential make it exceptionally hard. If you contact the normal hire companies you may well find one who will do a deal for a long hire during the winter but you still have the mooring problem and when you buy its the mooring that is going to cause you the most problems. Sorry not to be able to tell you what you want to hear. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.96 seconds.