Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
janetg
janetg

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:14pm

Post Subject: electrical cutting out

Hi hope you can throw me some light onto our problem, our electrical socket circut cuts out now and again wether we are conected to main electic or out on the canal useing batties any suggestions what i can do, the boat is only about 16months old(moved on july 7thish 2008)

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:51pm

Well, first I need to know what you mean by "cutting out". Is a circuit (MCB) tripping, is the Residual Current Device (RCD) tripping (they may both be combined)or does the supply just disappear only to reappear later. Each of these thing tends to have a different cause so I need to know. Thanks Tony Brooks

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:52pm

Hi just to update you a little bit more, i probably should of said tripped out. But anyway here we go .We have leads from the battery on mains electric going to the inverter. Then leads coming out the inverter to the panel with the switches for the lights p/s sides, outside light,horn,pumps,shower, and shaver. Then a lead going to a separate trip box with 3 trip switches, 1each p/s sockets, then on for the main switch to switch them off together. This is the one that trips out now and again. On it, it has got RCD vr40. It seems to do it for no reason at all, although there must be for it to keep doing it. Its not as though we have just turned something on or off, or plugged or unplugged something we haven't,it seems to just do it of its own accord can you throw any light on it for me to check it out Hopefully Janet

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:16pm

Thanks, I think I understand what you have. First of all they are not switches as such. The three are probably MCBs (in effect fuses) that are protecting the cables between them and their appliances form being overloaded (for any reason) and catching fire. The single one is an RCD or Residual Current Device. This ones job is to ensure the current flowing in the mains line (brown) cable is exactly the same as in the neutral (blue) cable and if it differers by more than typically 30mA in the UK it trips out. The only way the two cables can have different currents in them is if it's leaking out somewhere. If it is it is running down the earth cable (yellow/green) and/or through the HULL so it bypasses the RCD. This is a fault situation and needs urgent attention because mains can kill. Having done the dire warning piece it could simply be a faulty RCD but apart from substitution you have no way of telling. You need to inspect all the mains wiring - ALL MAINS SUPPLIES TURNED OFF - and look for dampness, chaffed and such as dead or living spiders behind the wall sockets and any other mains connector boxes. If you can not find anything then please get a proper marine electrician who is experienced in mains systems aboard boats to sort it out. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.49 seconds.