Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
kelvyn
kelvyn

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:33pm

Post Subject: Dehumidifier

I have a 57 foot narrowboat to help provide dryness over the winter months I want to keep a dehumidifier switched on but what size would I need to cover the boats area

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:50pm

Post Subject: Dehumidifier

Dear Kelvyn, using just the information you give me - an exceptionally large one plus and exceptionally large mains supply. It is just plain stupid to even consider a dehumidifier if you do not have a shoreline and you do not mention how you intend to power it. That way leads to battery destruction. Even if you do have shore power it is pointless trying to dehumidify the whole interior unless you drive a coach and horses through the Boat Safety Scheme and totally seal all your vents and cracks in the opening windows. Without doing so all you will do is to waste power trying to dehumidify the world. As fast as you remove the water vapour more will seep in. If you want to keep things like cupboards dry then you can obtain small chemical dehumidifiers or even just place an open container of salt in the cupboard. Whatever you do you must ensure that the water any dehumidifier produces can not build up and overflow (often causing the dehumidifier to cut out) or freeze during cold weather. All I can say is that I simply leave all the window hoppers open unless they are above the bed or soft furnishings so the boat has the best ventilation it can. Honestly ventilation is the key to combating damp. Some people use a small thermostatic panel or tubular heater to help keep the boat dry and in that way avoid the problem of dealing with the dehumidifier water. I suspect if you do decide to seal the boat any domestic model would do, however you must decide on the wisdom of leaving such equipment working when you are not attending to it. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.97 seconds.