Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
GAZZAEVS
GAZZAEVS

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:38am

Post Subject: BUYING & RUNNING A BOAT

Dear sir please could you help me.i want to buy a second hand narrow boat in west yorkshire its only for me to live on, what size boat should i be looking for and how much should i spend this will be my first boat,also could you give me some idea the cost of running this for a year to start with, many many thanks from GARY

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:40am

Dear Garry, First of all two questions for you to answer "How long is a piece of string?" and "How many magazines have you gone through to research the cost of boats?" You see your questions are impossible to answer without far more input from you. Can you live on a 25ft wide beam, plastic cruiser? I know some people do. The size you should be looking for is one that gives you (not me, not another reader)the room you need having account of what you can afford to pay. The waterways in that area are wide ones but if you buy a boat wider than about 6'10" you will not be able to bring it south other than on a lorry. The cost of boats from last month's magazine are from £4950 for an outboard powered 23ft plastic narrowboat, through £8950 for an old & tatty 30ft steel narrowboat up to very well over £100,000. To this you need to add survey fees of up to £1000. You really must start investing some time in locating brokerages and viewing boats. It would also be a good idea to hire one for a week in January to see if you could live on a boat in winter. Whilst you are doing this you need to address what will be your biggest problem. That is finding a mooring. Leisure moorings are fairly easy but you want to live on a boat so that implies either some form of "unofficial" living or an almost impossible to find fully residential mooring. I have no idea about the cost of true residential moorings but BW moorings are now auctioned off and private marina owners might charge a premium for being myopic. If you are thinking of just tying up to the canal bank please be aware that BW are taking actions against some such boaters and you could end up having your boat destroyed. At a wild guess a true residential mooring would probably cost £4000 + a year plus council tax, A leisure mooring operated by a myopic owner perhaps £1500 to £3000 (£5000+ in the south) and a bank side BW mooring that is not residential a bit under £1000 a year. The license will costs are on Waterscape.com as is much more information that you might find useful, but say about £500 a year for a 40ft boat on BW waters. You will have to have third party insurance an that will cost from about £50 per year rising as the value of the boat and the cover you require increases. You will need a BSS inspection every four years from perhaps £200 and a steel boat will need blacking between every two and four years from about £400 unless you DIY. Gas, heating fuel, electricity and/or its generation - who knows Better allow at least £1000 a year. Please buy a magazine or two and start doing some serious research. Also spend some time on watescape.com before you make any other decisions. Living on a boat and complying with BW regulations is NOT cheap housing but is more a lifestyle choice. You need to be pretty sure you can live in a narrow steel tube through the dark, damp days of winter before parting with any money. Lost of people ignore this sort of advice every years and lots very quickly come to regret it. IF you come back with better formed plans I may be able to advise further but the real way forward is to contact the people who advertise the boats and services you are interested in and gather some hard facts about price and availability. Tony Brooks

GAZZAEVS
GAZZAEVS

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:52pm

Many thanks Tony i must do my home work i understand what you are saying thank you. Gary

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.