Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
jimbob68
jimbob68

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:55pm

Post Subject: Which Engine?

I am looking at the possibility of commissioning a boatyard to build a 58 foot boat. I would welcome any engine advice on the power output and make/model of engine I should be considering. For me, reliability and low maintenance would be top of my priority list.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:35pm

Dear Jim, Just a "58ft boat"? No mention of type, beam or intended cruising waters so I could take a guess at the type. Lets assume that you its a narrowboat and that it will be used on canals & rivers. Older "vintage" engines probably have something like a 100 hour oil change interval and if it uses an oil filter that would be changed as well. Modern engines more typically have a 200 hour oil change interval so your request for low maintenance would indicate a modern unit, however these will probably be far less tolerant of poor maintenance than the "vintage" engines. "Vintage" engines probably also need a good deal more day to day care, even if it is only to keep the brass and paint work shiny. As for reliability then any of the modern engines that do not use a cam timing BELT should be fine. Just make sure that the marinisation has not obstructed easy access to things like starter motors etc. Personally I would avoid marinisations by a well known mariniser who has made their name in sea boats but I am not going into that here. For modern engines the Kubota or Isuzu engines seem relatively trouble free and popular on hire-fleets. Perhaps of more importance than absolute power is to ensure the engine, gearbox reduction and propeller are well matched to the boat and taking that assumption something in the 35 to 45 bhp range should do what you want. A few years ago I compared a range of engines and concluded any non-cam-belt engines from a major supplier would do well but the availability of spares and the helpfulness of the local agent is probably more important. This was before I heard the rather disquieting things I allude to above in respect of one mariniser. If you want a "Rolls Royce" engine look at the last readily available proper marine engine, the Bukh DV36 or DV48 but its expensive and its not worth spoiling the installation by not paying for an Aquadrive coupling & hospital silencer to maximise its benefits. Then there is the engine many can only dream about - A new Russel Newbury and that one makes the Bukh look dirt cheap. If you want reliability you will get that far more from keeping the domestic equipment simple, avoiding forced draft diesel powered heaters and ensure your charging system and batteries can actually cope with the loads when considered with the way you intend to use the boat. Tony Brooks

jimbob68
jimbob68

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:06pm

Sorry for my abiguity .... I know what I want! Ha Ha! Many thanks for your reply, it was very useful.

wirren
wirren

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:49pm

Hi Tony, not really hijacking this thread. You mentioned it is preferable to get a 'non' timing belt engine, will my 2007 Nanni N3.21hp have a chain. Thanks, Mark.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:37pm

Dear Jim, it's even better than a chain. Its gears and its Kubota based - only problem is the French marinised it. Rule Britannia and all that :-)

jimbob68
jimbob68

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:58am

Tony. I'd be very grateful for your considered views on the Barrus Yanmar Shire 45 engine with respect to serviceability, reliability, maintainability and servicing and spares etc. Regards. Jim.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:17am

As long as it is the Shire range and not the Shanks then it all comes down to my comments about the local dealer & customer service etc. as said in my main reply. There is probably little wrong with the Shanks range but in my view it has not been available for long enough to get a history of customer experience. From what I am told, for some reason I can not explain a number of owners find some Shires a bit smoky. I must also make it clear this is not the mariniser I have major concerns over. Now, please do not come back with another question along these lines because eventually I will be faced with refusing to reply to you and I do not want to be put in that position. This is a public forum run and funded by commercial interests so I have to be very aware of the dangers of giving an opinion that can not be 100% backed up by hard, documentary evidence. I suggest that you Google my name and move this into private emails if you want to go further. Tony Brooks

jimbob68
jimbob68

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:56am

Tony. Ownership will be a new experience for me and I wish to be well informed. I am very grateful for your time, opinion and experiential knowledgeable comments.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:20pm

Jim, I am still waiting for your email on thsi topic. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 164.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.