Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Arhphuket1
Arhphuket1

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:44pm

Post Subject: Length of boat.

Hi, what would be the longest boat you could use to cruise all of the canal system in the uk..??

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:32am

Dear Viv, I think there is an odd, obscure waterway that has a 45 ft limit but most people would say a 57 to 58ft narrowboat (broad beams can not cruise the whole system whatever their length) if they wish to comply with BW guidelines on the northern waterways. However if you are willing to back into certain locks and put the boat diagonally across the broad locks you can get a close to 70ft boat around the system. Now I can not be seen to even suggest that you ignore BW guidance so I must urge you to think of 58ft as the absolute limit. Tony Brooks

Arhphuket1
Arhphuket1

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:49pm

Thank you very much.!! All I have to do now is find a trad boat of 58ft MAX,,!!,,,with a boatmans cabin..!! Cheers..! Viv.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.