Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tony47
Tony47

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:31pm

Post Subject: No drive

I have a Sea Otter with a three cylinder Nanni diesel and a Technodrive TMC 40 M gearbox,After being moored up for a period of time I am unable to move off,the prop is turning but there is no power, on increasing engine revs it suddenly jumps into drive,I've disconnected the control cable to manually engage drive but to no affect. Regard T Pope.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:51pm

Dear Tony, I think this is a hydraulic gearbox so first of all check that you have sufficient oil of the correct grade in it. If that is OK then I fear you have an expensive problem. I gather that another mariniser has refused warranty on these boxes on canal boats because they have been run out of gear for too long - look in your manual. I suspect you will need a gearbox strip and if so my reaction would be to price the fitting of (say) a PRM gearbox. Sorry, Tony Brooks

wirren
wirren

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:50pm

Hi Tony47. I also have a 31'Sea Otter with a Technodrive. You could ask these guys for an opinion - http://www.mitgroup.co.uk/index.cfm?fa=contact.l ist I found them on the Technodrive web site. They have a couple of UK depots. I didn't think my TMC 40 box was hydraulic, it has Automatic Transmission Fluid in it. Good luck,

Tony47
Tony47

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:16pm

the manual says It's a twin disc type box,I've replaced the oil.the oil I removed seemed ok.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:25pm

The oil used has no bearing if its hydraulic or mechanical. That refers to what actually engages the gears inside the box. Mechanical levers or hydraulic pistons. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:29pm

To Tony47. If a box has the correct oil and the lever is moving the correct amount it has to be an internal fault. It could be worn clutches, something fallen off inside or (on certain Technodrive boxes) a worn bearing so once you have done the checks you said you did I am afraid its probably a box stripdown. Personally I would avoid paying money to have one of these boxes overhauled for inland use - fine at sea but not inland where BW regulations require you to run the engine out of gear for battery charging etc if you do not want to cruise. Tony Brooks

aaron9587
aaron9587

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:57pm

Hi, My boat has a HURTH gearbox and i replaced it due to the same problem, i dont like being beaten by mechanical stuff so i stripped it and found a small piece of swarf behind the sllector disc inside the box, what i would sugest you try befor exchanging box's is... if you loosen the gear selector lever at the gearbox and make sure there is at least 30 thou clearance between lever and box, this may cure your problem at least for the near future. If your mechanicly minded, it is not a big job to strip and check the internals. hope this helps...Tony Aaron

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:38am

Thanks for your reply and I am very pleased that you sorted your box out. However the box in question is not a Hurth and it seems that at least one model of the box when mated with Mitsubishi engines by a certain mariniser it has problems if allowed to run out of gear for periods. It could well be something silly inside the box but I am sure it will be inside. If it is a hydraulic box, as I suspect, taking the spool valve out (what would be the control shaft on your box) might allow a pressure relief valve to jump out so caution is best when advising on this sort of thing, especially as I am not very familiar with the box in question. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 45.  Total Objects: 164.  Total Unserialized: 5. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.