Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Odyssey
Odyssey

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:13pm

Post Subject: Back boilers

Hi, I'm considering buying a new stove for my narrowboat. In the longer term, I would like to have a backboiler connected to the calorifier and at least one radiator but not until next summer. In the meantime can a stove with an fitted backboiler be used without the water system being connected, or will this damage the boiler/stove? I have been looking at a Bubble Multifuel corner stove, which has a fully integrated boiler.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:32am

Post Subject: Back boilers

Dear Simon, I have been onto the bubble site and can not find any details about the stove or back boiler material so your best plan would be to ask the makers. Phone: 01302 742 520, email: sales@oilstoves.co.uk, Address: Harworth Heating Ltd, Blyth Road, Harworth, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN11 8NE. If the boiler is stainless steel or mild steel of a decent thickness then I would not expect any problems. If its copper (which I doubt) a runaway fire could melt it. If its cast iron then it is unlikely to be protected against direct contact with the burning fuel and gasses so it may heat too rapidly and crack without the water to even out the temperature rise. It will be vital that you leave both boiler connections open until you are ready to introduce the water. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.