Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
arthur
arthur

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:53pm

Post Subject: inverter r c d

Hi tony please could you help with the following.Could i use an R C D as used in gardens for electrical tools on an inverter in a boat thanks,arthur

arthur
arthur

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:54pm

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:58pm

Dear Arthur, I wish I could give you a simple answer to this but the answer I do give will probably require you to come back with more questions. An RCD works by measuring any difference in current flowing in the line and neutral cables (brown & blue) and if it finds a difference of more than typically 30mA it switches the supply off. For it to do this there must be an alternative path back to the electricity producer (in your case the inverter) which is via the earth wire (yellow/green) and the physical earth/boat hull. To allow this to happen when a fault occurs good practise says we should mimic what is done at the local transformer station and connect the neutral to the boat's hull. Good practise also dictates than an "mains" AC circuits on a boat are protected by an RCD which includes inverters , generators and shorelines. Now the problem. Some inverters bond the neutral to the earth connection inside themselves so all you have to do is to make an earth bond to the hull. Some are perfectly happy if you make a neutral to hull bond immediately "outside" the inverter. Yet others destroy themselves if such a bond is made. If you fit an RCD without a bond it will simply not work. Your first step is to talk to the inverter supplier/maker and get them to put in writing if either a neutral earth bond exists or if it is permissible to make such a bond. The second step is to ensure you have a hull bond if its permissible and if its not I must advise that you change the inverter for one that allows such a bond. Strive to get any assurances about the bond in writing because if you manage to kill someone under fault conditions it may provide some sort of defence. Sorry, Tony Brooks

arthur
arthur

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:11pm

hi Tony thanks for your help i have spoken to ring makers of my inverter,they say its ok to make a neutral bond outside the inverter tothe hull of the boat regards Arthur

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.57 seconds.