Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Crabtree0
Crabtree0

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:31am

Post Subject: 12v Pipe Thermosat, Help!

Hi, Can anyone recommend a 12v Pipe Thermostat to use with my 12v circulation pump to my Morso Backboiler. I believe its a cooling one I need i.e. one that is positioned near the stove and switches the pump on when the stove is warming up and cuts the pump off when the stove goes out (to save on battery). Ive searched all over the internet and ebay and Im really struggling to find one with a 12v DC supply that works in this way. Can anyone help? Many thanks, Mark

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:55pm

Dear Mark, I think a 12v one will be very hard to find and also very expensive. I have two suggestions and both involve an ordinary pipestat that should be easily available from a plumbers merchant. These will me designed for the mains but the insulation and safety will be fine on 12v. However the contacts may not be ideal for use with direct current and might (not will) burn out. So either simply fit a mains one and see how it gets on - I assume you will also have a switch in parallel as a back up in case of thermostat failure - or use the thermostat to control a 12v car relay which in turn switches the pump. The latter is method that would ensure long contact life in the thermostat. Most "mains" thermostats have change over contacts so you just choose which pair to use. Tony Brooks

Crabtree0
Crabtree0

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:47pm

Many thanks for your advice Tony, you've cured my headache! I'll go for the relay option to be on the safe side. Thanks again. Mark

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:20pm

If you need a diagram or explanation of the relay wiring just email me either via the magazine or direct to Tony@TB-Training.co.uk

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.