Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
steviedee1
steviedee1

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:53am

Post Subject: Rope Fenders

Hi can anybody tell me if there is a product that I can use to protect rope fenders from the rain and sun to stop them from discolouring and rotting? Many thanks Steve.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:30am

Post Subject: Rope Fenders

First of all are they natural rope or synthetic rope? The majority I see are made from one of the "plastic" ropes and they seem very resistant to the problems you mention. However over extremely long periods they might degrade in ultraviolet light from the sun. I can not see anything you can do to stop this apart from the regular application of very high factor sun cream :-) Natural ropes will suffer and the traditional treatment was an annual soak and drip dry in creosote but thats is probably now very hard to obtain. Creosote & similar liquids may well speed up the breakdown of synthetic rope. I strongly suspect that the best you can do nowadays is to obtain some timber anti-rot treatment that contains a dye of suitable colour (dark oak?). If it's for synthetic rope make sure its water based. Put the fender in a tub and liberally spray with the treatment the suspend over the tub to drip and finally dry before putting it back on the boat. Now readers may know different. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.