Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
micktuner
micktuner

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:52pm

Post Subject: generator

I am thinking of puting a generator in a sound proof housing in a engine bay of a widebeam (cruiser stern type)but have been told it will get to hot anyone got any thoughts on this

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:14pm

Post Subject: generator

Dear Mike, if this is a proper cocooned water cooled generator that was cocooned by the manufacturer AND you observe their requirements for air supply it should be fine. If its an air cooled generator with soundproofing that you do then you need to ensure an adequate supply of fresh cool air from outside the engine room AND ensure the exhaust does not cause back pressure and does not leak. My main concern is running both the main engine and generator together on a hot day. If you will only run one at a time and there is enough cool air for the main engine then a water cooled generator should still be fine. It would be the air cooled ones that concern me - especially if its in a home made enclosure and it is a petrol one it would make the BSS far stricter. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.