Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
mikeani
mikeani

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:15pm

Post Subject: Alde heater

our heater seems to lose approximately 100mls of coolant every couple of days. We have checked for leaks and cant find any, could this just be evaporation?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:40pm

First check the header tank when the heater is HOT to ensure you are not filling it so it vents upon expansion. Personally I doubt its evaporation and if you are absolutely sure there are no leaks anywhere (have you checked the back of radiators for pinholes) then I am concerned. You do not say which Alde you have but from your other question I assume its the thin upright one and those use a mild steel heat exchanger/boiler which could well rust through, especially if it has been used without antifreeze in the system. I think you need to keep a close eye on the "air in" hose joint (or the stub pipe that may be poked through the floor) to see if there is any evidence of water inside the combustion chamber. If you are on good terms with your local garage they might lend you a cooling system pressure tester to pressurise the system but it will have to be one with a blow up bladder to seal the filler hole. I have always found Alde very helpful when I have phoned them. If this get really bad over the Christmas period and it was mine, I would have a bar/can of car cooling system sealant handy but I must not say that using such stuff is OK. Its better than freezing though and it just might work. Tony Brooks

sincasa
sincasa

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:54pm

Hi i have had a similar situation for some time.When it happened I searched the boat for leaks in the heating system but nothing found.( I have access to the bilge) I have found that the header tank needs only to be filled to the minimum line as the water antifreeze mix expands to the max line. Also it takes ages for the system to be free of any airpockets.The Alde egg whisk pump does not seem man enough to deal with anything other than basic circulation. I have fitted an additional pump to use with a heat exhanger to utilise engine heat for the central heating and by accident using this pump has sorted out the air bleed problems

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.