Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
candron
candron

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:19pm

Post Subject: water pump problem

The pump is a Johnson Aqua jet WPS 2.9 12/24 V DC Wheni turn on a tap oe use the shower etc it runs until all the slack is taken out of the accumulator then flow stops and does not resume for between 6 to 8 seconds, annoying! Could it be the pressure switch? The acummulator prs is set at 10 psi. The system comprises of x2 cold +2 hot taps, 1 shower, 1 washer with hot and cold feed. The hot w is supplied from a twin coil calorifire heated from the engine and a Morso sq back boiler. The pump is just over 12 months old. I have been told by the man I baught the pump from that no manufactor will garantee any pump if used with a washer? Please could you advise, comment or recommend a type of pump

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:55pm

Dear JC, I do not understand the bit about using it with a washer - do you mean washing machine? If so talk to your local Trading Standards people or Consumer Direct. Boat do have washing machines so unless the BOX was clearly labelled to the effect that it was not to be used with a washing machine it follows that it is not fit for purpose. I have just checked the Johnson manual and it does not say anything about not using it with an accumulator but I know Flojet say their pumps with bypass valves should not be used with an accumulator (apparently Jabsco's pumps of this type can be). The makers state that this pump MUST be used together with a pre-strainer/filter, if your installation does not have one then that could be the basic cause of the problem but not the solution. All these pumps with inbuilt pressure switches have a small drilling between the pressure switch diaphragm and the pump's outlet port. When these become blocked you get exactly the symptoms you describe so you have three choices. 1. Remove the switch, diaphragm and unblock the drilling. 2. Fit a new pump. 3. My preferred option, fit an external pressure switch somewhere on the output side of the pump. Looking at the data sheet for the pump I see that its cutout pressure is about 2.8 bar (about 40psi) so I think you could increase your accumulator pressure (no pressure in the water system) to about 20psi, but this will not solve your problem. AS it's Christmas Eve and you stand no chance of getting a replacement for a day or two you can do the following. Look at the pump and wiring. You will see the main positive supply either enters the switch housing or is connected to a (probably black) lead that then enters the housing. The main negative lead usually goes straight to the motor assembly via length of sleeving together with the pos. lead from the switch. If you cut the positive lead between the switch & motor and join it to the main positive supply lead (main pump switch turned off) you can then open the tap and control the flow with the main water pump switch. You connect an external pressure switch into the joint I have just described. Just for the holiday a twist the wires together joint covered with Sellotape will do. Tony Brooks

candron
candron

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:58pm

Thanks Tony The hole to the switch in the pump was clear however there was a build up of lime scale on the diaphram clearing this solved the problem. Also I do have a pre filter and washer should have read washing machine Thanks again for putting me on the right track John

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.